Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity was founded on January 5, 1911, by ten distinguished students at Indiana University in Bloomington. Those ten men were Elder Watson Diggs, Byron Kenneth Armstrong, Henry T. Asher, Ezra Dee Alexander, Marcus Peter Blakemore, Paul Wayman Caine, George Wesley Edmonds. Guy Levis Grant, Edward Giles Irvin and John Milton Lee. These men of vision decided That Kappa Alpha Psi would be more than just a social organization. It would be the only Greek letter organization founded on the precept of Achievement.
On April 9, 1927, the fraternity established the Virginia Union University Chapter, the Alpha Gamma of Kappa Alpha Psi. It was the first chapter of the fraternity established in the Commonwealth of Virginia. The Virginia State College Chapter, the Alpha Phi of Kappa Alpha Psi was established on March 30, 1935.
During the 1940s, Kappa men began to move to the Petersburg, Virginia area to accept positions at Virginia State College and employment at Camp Lee. To maintain involvement with the Fraternity, they affiliated with the Alpha Phi Chapter. Some of the elder statesmen of the Chapter felt a separate chapter would better serve their needs. On April 18, 1941, the request for a separate chapter was approved and the Petersburg Alumni Chapter was chartered. The Charter members were:
- Brother Deedon Alston
- Brother Arthur H. Brown
- Brother Joseph W. Brown
- Brother William Thomas Carter
- Brother John Hunter
- Brother Augustus C. Phillips
- Brother Darfes R. Turner
- Brother Thomas Verdell